header-photo

Week 2: Vampires

You know what I learned this week in school? There will always be means girls, no matter their age. Oh and… if you sacrifice a few hours to study you might just get a 92.5% on your first test! Ekkkk. Not tryin to name drop or anythang but someone may have had one of the top test scores and she might have received an orange tootsie pop as a reward from her Chef. Just maybe…

IMG_2172


Week two provided me the opportunity to absorb the knowledge that has been streaming through my veins. Everything here is exceptionally fast paced, takes some getting used to! Though I’ve already forgot what well rested feels like I am exactly where I should be.


IMG_2155
Our class was finally able to get our hands dirty!


Some even got them a little bloody but my record is

Kristy (2) - Knives (0)! No finger cots for me this week…


IMG_2152 IMG_2158
IMG_2160


Julienne, Brunoise, Batonnet, Tourne, oh my! Clearly – My skills have not completely developed.


IMG_2153


And then there was the epic tastings.
The mission: Prepare onions four ways. Raw. Lightly cooked. Caramelized. Burnt.

IMG_2170


Prior to the tasting I hated raw onions. After the tasting I still loath raw onions. I mean does it get more pungent and offensive than raw freaking onions?!? Onions were meant to be caressed delicately in butters and browned to their glory not chopped and shoved in my mouth. Ugh. Bleeeek!

The burnt onions are my work of art. See I got mad skills. My group did great! Look at Wanda’s caramelized beauties! Yes, please!
We all dried our tears and processed to flavor testing.

IMG_2168

Did you know that this is how we taste? [Source]


In this challenge we tasted each flavor. Sour (lemon juice), Salty (salt water), Sweet (sugar water) and Bitter.


As we drank the liquids we were instructed to indentify where on our tongues we actually tasted them! IMG_2167

The diagram above proved true to my pallet. I did notice that I was less sensitive to the sugar water :le sigh: Chef claims we can train our pallets to be more of a supper taster. I’m intrigued…

IMG_2171


Then, there was some more drinking. Of course not chilled wine or warm herbal tea but FISH SAUCE. Yeah, I’m talking fish in a bottle! Well, the first sample was basic fish stock. The second sample was the basic fish stock enhanced with Umami (fish sauce).

I have to say, fish sauce is defiantly a secret trick of the culinary trade! It seemed to brighten every flavor in the basic stock and enhanced the salt profile to perfection. Some people felt it was slightly over powering but the saltiness that was achieved is indeed the perfect balance! It was that type of edible harmony that makes you question if you are still mortal. According to Chef, this fish sauce can be used in all types of dishes not just fish or stock.

IMG_2164


He won everyone back when he began feeding us Jelly Beans. I promise it was part of the lab, exploring textures and contrasts. We honestly don’t eat jelly beans and do shots of fish sauce in our free time.

IMG_2157

Confession: You can find my nose glued to the bakery windows daily in-between breaks, before and after class, during session….. Every moment I get I chase the aroma that fills the hallway down to the bakery. I peer through the windows envious of the mess… That beautiful mess that evolves into fluffy love which rests in a plain metal bread pan waiting to be chewed into submission.

IMG_2166


You see it was a very productive week. Stay tuned for Week 3!

Herbs. Spices. Salts. Resumes. Oh and more FOOD SAFETY….

IMG_2162

By the way, what do you consider yourself?
A super taster? A medium (average) taster? Low level taster?
Did you know that smokes taste less than non-smokers?

10 comments:

Jes said...

Great job on your test! I know what you mean about mean girls. Just remember that they are probably just envious of some quality you possess that they wish they could (and probably could possess themselves if they were not so mean).

I have no idea what kind of taster I am. lol

Lo said...

congrats on the 5k a little bit of go! Oh and pastry school? So jeal! Def apply for top chef just desserts :)

xoxo
lo

thatswhatsummersaid said...

You look so cute in your chef gear! Congrats on the test. I'm really enjoying reading about the school adventure, keep up the good work!

Gracie said...

That is some really cool information! I would consider myself a super-taster. However, I'd love to learn more about how to use my palate/recognize tastes. I'm trying to become a super foodie, muahah ;)

livelaughloveandrun said...

Culinary school seems so fun! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun said...

I have no clue what level taster i would be. I can handle really rich and really spicy so I don't know if that means anything?

Congrats on the great test score!

ninest123 said...

jordan shoes, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, burberry, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin pas cher, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, replica watches, longchamp, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, air max, nike free, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, sac longchamp, michael kors, louis vuitton, nike free, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, ugg boots, louboutin shoes

ninest123 said...

north face, nike roshe, hogan, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, abercrombie and fitch, new balance pas cher, vanessa bruno, ugg boots, nike free run uk, kate spade handbags, michael kors, true religion jeans, nike air max, coach outlet, timberland, michael kors, mulberry, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, true religion jeans, hermes, ray ban uk, ugg boots, lacoste pas cher, tn pas cher, michael kors, sac guess, north face, oakley pas cher, hollister, nike air max, michael kors outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, lululemon, air force, nike air max, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike blazer, coach purses, coach outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online

ninest123 said...

iphone cases, louboutin, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, asics running shoes, new balance, celine handbags, chi flat iron, wedding dresses, ghd, beats by dre, soccer shoes, baseball bats, mont blanc, nike air max, timberland boots, hollister, nike roshe, ferragamo shoes, lancel, birkin bag, longchamp, converse outlet, jimmy choo shoes, nike air max, north face outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban, lululemon, gucci, hollister, vans shoes, nike trainers, oakley, hollister, bottega veneta, insanity workout, instyler, mcm handbags, north face outlet, reebok shoes, p90x workout, babyliss, vans, nike huarache, ralph lauren, nfl jerseys, converse

ninest123 said...

louis vuitton, links of london, replica watches, moncler outlet, coach outlet, canada goose, moncler, moncler, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, ugg boots uk, pandora jewelry, doudoune canada goose, wedding dresses, canada goose uk, canada goose, canada goose outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, bottes ugg, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, moncler, pandora charms, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, karen millen, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, toms shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, moncler, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, moncler, swarovski, pandora charms